Borno free of cholera outbreak – Commissioner

Health
Typography

The Borno Government on Thursday declared that the state is cholera free sequel to the successful control of an outbreak of the disease.

The state Commissioner for Health, Dr Haruna Mshelia, made this known at a news conference in Maiduguri.

He said the state government in collaboration with World Health Organisation (WHO) and development partners had effectively controlled the cholera outbreak which was first recorded on Aug. 16.

“Today, we are more than two weeks without any case reported and this signifies that we have come to the end of this outbreak,’’ Mshelia, who was represented by Dr Muhammad Ghuluze, said.

“The preparedness of the health cluster to respond to cholera outbreak; effective partner coordination, and swift activation of the emergency operation centre, efficient case management and surveillance were the strong points that helped disrupt transmission and reduce mortality by about one per cent,” he said.

Mshelia disclosed further that over 5,000 cases of the disease were recorded with 61 deaths in the six affected local government areas of the state.

He listed the affected areas as Jere, Maiduguri, Dikwa, Monguno, Mafa and Guzamala.

The commissioner attributed the outbreak to the weakening health system due to Boko Haram insurgency and over population at Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camps.

According to him, the state government has inoculated 950,000 persons against the disease as part of effort to prevent future outbreak.

Mshelia reiterated the state government commitments to enhance quality healthcare delivery in the state.

He commended WHO and other organisations for their contributions to the improvement of healthcare services in the state.

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS
Share this post
FaceBook  Twitter  


1444473
Today
Yesterday
This Week
Last Week
This Month
Last Month
All days
1943
6899
8842
1378991
77435
0
1444473

Your IP: 172.69.62.27
2018-01-22 08:15