The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors has suspended its nationwide indefinite strike for four weeks following a series of marathon conciliatory meetings with the Federal Government and the signing of a new Memorandum of Understanding.
NARD President, Dr. Mohammad Suleiman, confirmed the suspension late Saturday, describing the move as a “gesture of good faith” to allow the government implement critical outstanding items in the association’s 19-point demand.
He noted that although the MoU captured “significant progress,” several issues remain unresolved, stressing that the four-week window would determine whether the doctors would resume their total industrial action.
Suleiman said the government had committed to clearing promotion arrears and salary arrears within four weeks, with Chief Medical Directors and Medical Directors currently compiling necessary data.
“NEC, in its wisdom, resolved to suspend the strike for four weeks to allow room for full implementation. Our commitment to negotiation remains, but not at the expense of members’ welfare,” he said.
He added that while the Office of the Head of Civil Service of the Federation had already issued a directive on specialist allowance, the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission must now complete the process to make payment possible.
In a message to members titled “NARD TICS: The Journey Thus Far,” Suleiman disclosed that the long-standing case of the “Lokoja Five” — resident doctors dismissed at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja — is expected to be resolved within two weeks, following a committee recommendation for their reabsorption.
He listed several issues already concluded, including: correction of failed payments of the 25/35% allowance ; payment of accoutrement allowance; release of the Postgraduate Training Allowance (PTA); and resolution of the skipping/entry-level dispute.
The NARD President also confirmed that matters affecting house officers had been addressed.
According to him, CMDs and MDs have now been directed to halt “all obnoxious clauses” in locum contracts nationwide, while advisories reducing call hours and ensuring adequate rest for resident doctors have been circulated to hospitals.
He said committees on locum engagement and work-hour regulation are expected to submit final working policies within two months.
Suleiman also revealed that the Collective Bargaining Agreement process would resume soon, alongside discussions on consultant cadre status for other health professionals and the reconvening of the special pensions committee.
While expressing confidence in members’ solidarity, he admitted that the negotiation process had “not been without mistakes,” taking responsibility for whatever errors occurred.
He warned that the strike would resume if the government fails to meet the agreed timelines.
“My next task is to take our case once again to Nigerians and the Federal Government. If items A, B, C, and D are not fully implemented within the timeline, NEC will lift the suspension and TICS will resume fully,” he said.
Suleiman urged members to remain vigilant as the countdown begins on Monday.
“Every day will remind Nigerians and the government to use this window justly and fully. It is not over until it is over,” he added
Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com
We are committed to impactful investigative journalism for human interest and social justice. Your donation will help us tell more stories. Kindly donate any amount HERE




