Estimated reading time: 5 minute(s)
Over Nn300 million worth of goods have been lost to fire outbreak at Ijomu area of Akure, the Ondo State capital by no fewer than 10 traders.
The incident occurred on Sunday as one of the victims, simply identified as Alhaji reportedly collapsed and has been admited in a private hospital.
He reportedly had heart attack when he saw his two medicine stores engulfed by fire.
PLATFORM TIMES gathered that Alhaji is the owner of Choices Medicine and Supermarket Stores at No. 20 Ijomu Street, Akure, Akure South Local Government Area of the state.
The hospitalised victim was said to have just off loaded two trucks load of drugs into his two stores in the same complex on Saturday night.
Other occupants of the complex are fashion designers, electrical and electronics dealers.
Mrs. Modupe Daramola, a fashion designer in the complex, lost three industrial sewing and embroidery machines and four sewing machines to the fire.
She disclosed that she also lost a heavy duty power generating set and a refrigerator to the inferno besides several fabrics belonging to her numerous customers.
Sola Omorege, one of the youth leaders in the area, said it took their efforts to put out the fire, though the could not rescue any of the items in the complex.
He lamented that the fire service in the state couldn’t help when they went to their office on a motorbike due to lack of functional equipment.
High Chief Folabi Fayehun, the Edemo of Akure kingdom, told our correspondent that he contacted the Akure fire service through a firefighter in Ilesa, but they complained that they had no functional fire equipment and could not help.
He also contacted the Akure Airport Fire Service but was told it was out of their jurisdiction except the governor requested for their service.
The high chief lamented that several millions of naira goods and property are being lost to fire incident in the state capital in particular due to non availability of fire fighting equipment.