Estimated reading time: 5 minute(s)
The government of Switzerland has withdrawn a three-year-long money laundering probe against a Venezuelan diplomat, Alex Saab over lack of evidence.
The spokesman for Geneva’s prosecutor on Thursday announced that it has shut a probe into Alex Saab over suspected money laundering via Swiss offshore accounts.
The government Office tasked with evaluating suspicious funds explained that the investigation into Saab was sparked by several banks lodging reports with MROS.
Prosecutors said the now-shuttered Genevan investigation focused on a single-vehicle tied to Saab, noting that the evidence from this was insufficient to bring formal charges against him.
It would be recalled that Saab was arrested and detained in Cape Verde based on the request of the Donald Trump led United States government during a stopover on his way to Iran over allegations of money laundering.
The Venezuelan government in a reaction however faulted with claims that the businessman is its special envoy on a humanitarian mission.
In the same vein, the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) court ruled that the continued detention and push for the extradition of Saab by the Cape Verde government is illegal.
The judgment of the ECOWAS court is based on the absence of a Red Notice when Saab was arrested in June last year.
However, Cape Verdean Supreme court on Tuesday, March 16 in a counter-reaction ruled that Saab be extradited to the United States, refusing to comply with ECOWAS’ order.
In its ruling, the Cape Verdean Supreme Court explained that it refused to comply with earlier decisions of the ECOWAS court because “it considers
itself as not legally bound to the said protocol.”
Meanwhile, the withdrawal of the money laundering probe against Saab strengthens the position of the ECOWAS Court that there was no red notice in place during the time of his arrest