Estimated reading time: 5 minute(s)
A couple has been found dead on their matrimonial bed in Dawakin Tofa Local Government Area of Kano State.
PLATFORM TIMES gathered that the couple died of suffocation from charcoal fumes.
The Kano State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abdullahi Haruna-Kiyawa, confirmed the incident .
The PPRO who said this via a statement issued on Wednesday, gave the names of the couple as Sulaiman Idris, aged 28, and 20-year-old Maimuna Haliru.
He said “We received a report on January 3 at about 9.00 p.m from Kwa Village in Dawakin Tofa LGA that a couple was discovered not to have come out of its matrimonial home since it was last seen on January 2 at about 11:00 p.m.
“When the grandmother of Idris forced the door open, she discovered the couple motionless on the matrimonial bed, with smoke odour pervading the room.
“On receipt of the report, the Kano State Commissioner of Police, Mr Mamman Dauda, directed a team of detectives led by CSP Ahmed Hamza, DPO Dawakin Tofa Division to proceed to the scene.”
He noted that the bodies of the victims were removed from the scene and rushed to Murtala Muhammed Specialist Hospital in Kano where a medical doctor confirmed them dead.
The police spokesperson stated that preliminary investigation revealed that the deceased couple lit a charcoal fire to warm the room due to cold weather.
“They locked up and got suffocated by the smoke that emanated from the burning charcoal burning while fast asleep,” he said.
He said an investigation on the incident was ongoing.
Haruna-Kiyawa, however, advised the people of Kano State to be careful while using fire from charcoal, urging them to always take safety measures because hamattan season was associated with high risk of fire outbreaks.
Estimated reading time: 1 minute(s)
FOOTNOTE: Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 or email: email@example.com