Ayomide Awe The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, Peter Obi, has said he cannot promise Nigerians uninterrupted electricity within a single four-year term, describing such a pledge as unrealistic. Obi, who has repeatedly pledged to serve only one four-year tenure if elected president, said fixing Nigeria’s decades-long electricity crisis could not be achieved within that period. Speaking during an interview on Channels Television on Sunday, the former Anambra State governor said no responsible leader should make promises that cannot be fulfilled. “I will not tell Nigerians that I am going to give them reliable, stable, 24-hour electricity within…
Author: Platform Times Newspaper
…175 Visitors Apply For Refugee Protection …Ghana Records Highest Number With 25 Applicants …Over 26,000 World Cup Visas Issued By Canadian Authorities Daud Olatunji No fewer than 10 Nigerians are among 175 foreign nationals who have applied for asylum in Canada after travelling to the country for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, according to official figures released by Canadian immigration authorities. Data published by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) showed that, as of July 20, 2026, the asylum seekers had initially entered Canada on temporary residence permits issued for the global football tournament co-hosted by the country. The IRCC…
…Says Wfe Rejected Pressure To End hLHer Life . Daud Olatunji The husband of the Oyo State school principal who recently regained freedom after spending more than 50 days in captivity, Prof. Wole Alamu, has revealed that he blocked the kidnappers’ phone numbers during ransom negotiations after their repeated threats triggered severe health complications, including high blood pressure. Alamu disclosed this during a thanksgiving service held to celebrate the release of his wife, Mrs. Rachael Alamu, principal of Ahoro Esinle School in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State. He said the emotional trauma of engaging the abductors almost cost…
The Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun’s successor, IGP Tunji Disu, has approved the immediate redeployment of 10 Assistant Inspectors-General of Police to strategic commands and formations across the country as part of a major reorganisation of the Nigeria Police Force. The postings, contained in a “Most Immediate” wireless message from the Force Headquarters in Abuja, were directed to all police departments, zonal commands, state commands, specialised formations and training institutions for immediate implementation. According to the signal, AIG Polycarp Emeka Nwonyi has been posted to Zone 9 Command, Umuahia, while AIG Obono Nnaghe Itam was redeployed as Commandant of the…
Fawaz Adebisi The Olowu of Owu Kingdom, Oba Prof. Saka Adelola Matemilola, has disclosed that the Olowu Hope Initiative has impacted more than 12,600 people through interventions in education, healthcare, entrepreneurship and environmental sustainability. The monarch made the disclosure on Monday during a press conference at the Olowu Palace, Oke-Ago, Abeokuta, to commemorate his fourth coronation anniversary. Presenting the Olowu Hope Initiative’s first quarter 2026 performance report, Oba Matemilola said the palace-backed intervention was established to combat poverty by investing in education, health and well-being, enterprise and skills development, as well as environmental sustainability and climate action. He said the…
The Ondo State Police Command has arrested four police officers over their alleged involvement in an incident captured in a viral video showing unprofessional conduct during a stop-and-search operation on the Lagos-Benin Expressway. The command said the officers were taken into custody following the circulation of the video on social media, while a full-scale investigation had been ordered to determine their level of culpability. The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Abayomi Jimoh, disclosed this on Sunday while briefing journalists on behalf of the Commissioner of Police, Felix Ohagwu. Jimoh identified the officers as ASP Elomore Sodayo (AP/No.…
Gunmen have abducted three 100-level students of the Federal University of Lafia (FULafia) after attacking an off-campus students’ lodge in Lafia, Nasarawa State. The victims were reportedly kidnapped at about 8:45 p.m. on Saturday when the armed men stormed Sure Leaders Lodge in the Bukan Kwato area of the state capital. A student, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, confirmed the incident, saying the attackers forcefully whisked away the three students during the raid. The latest abduction comes barely weeks after another three FULafia students were kidnapped from a separate off-campus accommodation, raising fresh concerns over the…
A former Nigerian international footballer, Hunkarin Segun George, has been sentenced to two years imprisonment for conspiring to import cocaine into Nigeria, while an alleged drug kingpin, Ntoruka Emmanuel Chinedu, bagged a 22-year jail term for multiple cocaine importation offences. The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency disclosed on Sunday that Justice Musa Kakaki of the Federal High Court in Lagos convicted and sentenced the duo to a combined 24 years imprisonment after finding them guilty of offences involving 7.05 kilogrammes of cocaine. According to the anti-narcotics agency, Chinedu was first arraigned in September 2015 on a one-count charge bordering on…
Daud Olatunji The Ondo State House of Assembly has suspended plenary indefinitely, insisting that Speaker Olamide Oladiji must resign over allegations that he diverted N44m released by the Ondo State Oil-Producing Areas Development Commission for the reordering of the agency’s 2026 budget. The decision came amid an escalating leadership crisis in the Assembly, where 21 of the 26 lawmakers have reportedly signed an impeachment notice against the Speaker over alleged financial mismanagement. The lawmakers accused Oladiji of failing to carry members along in the disbursement of the funds, a development that has deepened divisions within the legislature. Speaking in Akure…
The Law Officers Association of Nigeria, Kwara State chapter, has commenced an indefinite strike over the failure of the state government to address its long-standing welfare demands, including unpaid allowances and salary harmonisation. The association announced the industrial action on Monday following the expiration of a seven-day ultimatum earlier issued to the state government. In a notice signed by its Acting Chairman, Kehinde Ayorinde, members were directed to withdraw their services with immediate effect until the government responds to their demands. The notice read, “Take notice that LOAN, Kwara State Chapter commences her indefinite strike action today, July 27, 2026,…
