The Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has raised concerns over an alleged plot by opposition parties to create unrest in the state, with the aim of pressuring President Bola Tinubu into declaring a state of emergency.
APC chairman in Edo, Jarret Tenebe, made the allegations during a press conference in Abuja on Tuesday, claiming that opposition elements had devised a “reckless and dangerous plot” to destabilize the state due to their perceived lack of confidence in the ongoing governorship election petition tribunal.
“It has come to our attention that the leadership of some major opposition parties in our state, along with two others, has devised a reckless and dangerous plot to instigate crisis and make Edo ungovernable,” Tenebe stated.
According to him, the alleged plan is linked to the pending judgment at the Edo Election Petition Tribunal, where the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate, Asue Ighodalo, is contesting the outcome of the September 21, 2024, governorship election.
The APC chairman accused the opposition of resorting to acts of sabotage to manipulate public perception and judicial sentiment.
He claimed that some disbanded members of the State Security Network had been enlisted to orchestrate violence, as recently seen in Uromi, Esan North-East Local Government Area.
“Their aim is to falsely implicate the state government in these disruptions, creating a narrative that fosters chaos and sympathy for their failed cause,” Tenebe alleged.
He further called for the arrest of certain opposition leaders, citing intelligence reports that allegedly linked them to the recent killings of 16 people in Uromi.
“Their recent criticism of Governor Monday Okpebholo for travelling to Kano State to condole with victims’ families has further exposed their involvement in the Uromi mayhem,” he said, describing the opposition’s stance as hypocritical and desperate.
Tenebe also alleged that some opposition members outside Nigeria were inciting violence and called for their extradition to face terrorism charges.
“As a political party, we are going to formally write to foreign missions, embassies, and other international bodies to extradite these fellows who keep inciting the public to commit acts of terrorism.
They must be repatriated to Nigeria to face terrorism charges,” he declared.
Despite the tension, Tenebe assured APC supporters that Governor Okpebholo would not be intimidated and would emerge victorious at the tribunal.
“No amount of blackmail, intimidation, or desperate orchestration will stop our governor from emerging victorious at the tribunal on Wednesday.
The people of Edo have spoken, and their mandate will not be stolen through underhand tactics,” he said.
He praised the governor’s efforts in tackling insecurity, noting that the administration had procured security gadgets, Hilux vehicles, and drones to enhance security operations in the state.
Tenebe assured that the Okpebholo-led administration would not rest until Edo is completely free from crime and that all residents, irrespective of their religious or ethnic backgrounds, could live in peace.
He urged APC supporters in the state to remain calm and await the tribunal’s verdict on Wednesday.
Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com
We are committed to impactful investigative journalism for human interest and social justice. Your donation will help us tell more stories. Kindly donate any amount HERE