Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday narrated how he was evacuated from Guinea-Bissau aboard an Ivorian aircraft following a sudden political upheaval that left him and his delegation stranded in the West African country.
Jonathan, who led the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission to monitor the November 23 presidential and legislative polls, was caught in the middle of a rapidly unfolding coup attempt announced by President Umaro Sissoco Mbalo.
Speaking with journalists in Abuja shortly after his return, the former Nigerian leader said he felt compelled to publicly appreciate Nigerians for their concern during the tense hours that followed the outbreak of gunfire in Bissau.
“Since I left office, I have always been cautious about engaging the media. But in this case, I had to speak because Nigerians—young and old—showed overwhelming empathy while we were trapped in Bissau,” he said.
“I sincerely appreciate Nigerians and wanted them to hear directly from me.”
Jonathan also clarified why he returned to Nigeria on an aircraft sent by Côte d’Ivoire instead of a Nigerian government jet.
According to him, both President Bola Tinubu and Ivorian President Alassane Ouattara immediately activated diplomatic channels to secure his evacuation, but the Ivorian team obtained landing clearance first due to their proximity and regional diplomatic networks.
“Both presidents were ready to send aircraft, but Côte d’Ivoire got the landing permit first,” Jonathan explained.
“By the time Nigeria’s aircraft was preparing to leave, the Ivorian one was already on its way. So we advised that the Nigerian crew should stand down.”
He thanked both leaders for what he described as “swift and coordinated intervention,” noting that the gesture underscored Nigeria’s standing in the sub-region.
Tension erupted in Guinea-Bissau on November 26 as the National Electoral Commission was preparing to announce results from what observers had described as a peaceful and credible vote.
Heavy gunfire was reported near the presidential palace and the electoral commission headquarters. Hours later, President Mbalo claimed he had been ousted and detained in a coup, though he insisted no force was used against him.
Military officers identifying themselves as the “High Military Command for the Restoration of National Security and Public Order” appeared on state television declaring that they had seized power and suspended all political institutions.
The sudden instability triggered widespread concern for the safety of international observers, including Jonathan’s team.
Jonathan and his delegation eventually departed Bissau on Thursday and arrived safely in Abuja, bringing an end to 48 hours of regional anxiety.
The West African Elders Forum has not yet issued a formal statement on the disruption of the electoral process.
Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com
We are committed to impactful investigative journalism for human interest and social justice. Your donation will help us tell more stories. Kindly donate any amount HERE




