A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party and Convener of The Alternative Movement, Segun Showunmi, has been installed as the Odofin of Keesi Town in Egbaland, pledging to spearhead fresh developmental initiatives in the community. Showunmi was formally installed on Wednesday at the Ogboni House, Keesi, Abeokuta, amid fanfare and commendations from traditional leaders and indigenes. Speaking shortly after the ceremony, the former Ogun State governorship aspirant described the Odofin title as a strategic and historic position deeply rooted in the heritage of Keesi. He expressed gratitude to the elders and people of the town for what he called a…
Author: Platform Times Newspaper
…N12.4tn Revenue Gone In Three Years …Beneficiary Firms, MDAs To Face Legislative Review Daud Olatunji The House of Representatives has raised the alarm that Nigeria is losing about N8 trillion annually to tax waivers, concessions and exemptions granted to companies and investors across key sectors of the economy. The Chairman, House Ad-Hoc Committee on the Review of Tax and Export Incentives, Waivers and Exemptions, James Abiodun Faleke, disclosed this on Tuesday, warning that the massive revenue forgone is worsening the country’s fiscal challenges. Faleke said between 2023 and 2026 alone, the Federal Government projected N12.4 trillion in revenue losses arising…
The Federal Government has launched a regulatory probe into the $2.2bn acquisition of IHS Holding Limited by MTN Group, signalling heightened scrutiny of what analysts describe as one of the most consequential infrastructure consolidations in Africa’s telecom sector. The Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Bosun Tijani, announced on Tuesday that the government would conduct a comprehensive review of the transaction to ensure it does not undermine competition, consumer interests or long-term sector sustainability. MTN had earlier disclosed that it reached an agreement to acquire the remaining 75.3 per cent stake in IHS in an all-cash deal valued at…
Credit: Getty Image. Internally Displaced Person’s Camp After Being Attacked by BokoHaram As 2026 unfolds with a grim escalation of violence, marked by deadly bandit attacks, mass kidnappings and insurgent assaults that claimed 481 lives and led to 269 abductions in January alone, culminating in the February 3 to 4 massacre of at least 162 residents in Woro and Nuku communities near Ilorin in Kwara State as well as how banditry tightens its grip on Zamfara and Sokoto with Boko Haram remnants continuing to harass farming communities in Borno, and as projections warn that 35 million Nigerians could face acute…
A 27-year-old man, Oloyede Oluwaseyi, has been arraigned before a Chief Magistrate’s Court sitting in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman by touching her without her consent. The defendant was docked by the Ekiti State Police Command on Tuesday, following a complaint lodged by the victim, identified as Oluwabusayo. The prosecutor, ASP Akinwale Oriyomi, told the court that the alleged offence occurred on February 1, 2026, in Ikere-Ekiti. According to him, the defendant unlawfully and indecently touched the victim without her consent. Oriyomi said the alleged act contravenes Section 269(1) of the Criminal Law of Ekiti State,…
Former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has accused the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, of plotting a 2031 presidential bid while allegedly working to bolster President Bola Tinubu’s 2027 election prospects. Amaechi made the claim during a phone-in interview on Eagles Radio, a statement later shared on X by African Democratic Congress (ADC) chieftain Dele Momodu. According to Amaechi, Ribadu is “busy arresting everybody” and is setting up “fake ADC” structures to weaken opposition parties. “I doubt that El-Rufai said he hacked NSA Nuhu Ribadu’s phone. He doesn’t have the capacity to do so. It’s the NSA’s office that is…
Operatives of the State Security Service (SSS) on Tuesday detailed before the Federal High Court, Abuja, how suspected terrorists planned and executed the June 2022 attack on St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, and how intelligence and technical tracking led to the arrest of five suspects. The witness, codenamed SSG under court-approved protection, testified as the ninth prosecution witness before Justice Emeka Nwite. He said he led a team to unravel the perpetrators, their sponsors, and the circumstances surrounding the attack. “The incident occurred on 5th June 2022. I was mandated to investigate and bring those responsible to…
Aisha Waliyullah & Fareedah Ogundairo The Vice Chancellor of Bells University of Technology, Ota, Ogun State, Prof. Jeremiah Ojediran, has attributed Nigeria’s growing insecurity to poor urban planning and neglected infrastructure, saying deliberate design could curb crime across the country. Prof. Ojediran made the remarks while delivering the keynote address at the 12th Waheed Kadiri Lecture Series, organised by the Nigerian Institute of Town Planners (NITP), Ogun State Chapter, on Tuesday. He highlighted that Nigeria’s security crisis is not anecdotal but backed by data, citing the Global Terrorism Index 2025, which ranked Nigeria as the sixth most terrorised nation globally,…
The Ogun State Chapter of the Freelance and Independent Broadcasters’ Association of Nigeria (OGUN FIBAN) has felicitated with Prince Gboyega Nasir Isiaka (GNI), Member representing Yewa North/Imeko-Afon Federal Constituency at the House of Representatives, on the occasion of his birthday. In a statement signed by the Chairman of OGUN FIBAN, Hon. Chief Olalekan Shoyinka (Ayinla Egba), the association described Prince Isiaka as a “distinguished statesman, accomplished administrator and visionary leader” whose dedication to effective representation, economic development, and inclusive governance has earned him wide respect across Ogun State and beyond. The statement highlighted Prince Isiaka’s leadership at the National Assembly,…
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Tuesday charged traditional and religious leaders across the country to take ownership of the campaign against preventable diseases, saying improved healthcare delivery requires collective action beyond government efforts. Tinubu gave the charge while addressing participants at the National Summit of Traditional and Religious Leaders on Health and Well-being held at the State House in Abuja. He said the fight against preventable illnesses such as maternal and newborn complications, vaccine-preventable diseases and malnutrition could only be won if community leaders actively mobilise their subjects and congregations. “The war against preventable diseases is the responsibility of all…
