Chaos Erupts As Scavenger Seizes Police Rifle, Leaving Two Dead In River

In a shocking incident that unfolded on Saturday in the Chinda/Ada George area of Port Harcourt, chaos and tragedy ensued as a man identified as Nuhu created pandemonium by snatching an AK-47 rifle from a police officer, leading to a series of events that resulted in two fatalities.

The turmoil began when Nuhu, a well-known scavenger in the area, reportedly under the influence of hard drugs, violently assaulted a police officer stationed at the residence of an ex-Governor along Ada George road.

In a brazen act, he not only slapped the officer but also seized his loaded AK-47 rifle.

Nuhu, armed with the powerful weapon, fled to a location off Chinda way, at Mile 4, opposite Boropit. During his escape, he indiscriminately fired the rifle, tragically claiming the life of one man – another scavenger.

The situation escalated further when police officers responded to the scene, engaging Nuhu in a shootout.

Video footage obtained by our reporter revealed the lifeless bodies of Nuhu and the unidentified man, depicting the intense confrontation that transpired. Sources indicated that police officers from Rumukpakan (Ada George Police Division) arrived to retrieve the bodies of the deceased.

According to our sources, Nuhu had earlier been chasing members of his ethnic group with a dagger before escalating to the violent act of seizing the rifle.

The Rivers State Police Command spokesperson, SP Grace Iringe Koko, confirmed the incident, shedding light on the events leading to the tragedy.

In a press statement issued on Sunday, SP Iringe-Koko revealed that on December 17th, 2023, at about 1500 hrs, Inspector Ade Rotimi attached to the APC pin-down point by Ada George Road was attacked by Nuhu and three others.

The assailants stabbed Inspector Rotimi multiple times on his head, injured another inspector, Bala Yusuf, on his hand, and forcefully took Rotimi’s rifle.

The armed Nuhu proceeded to the Boro Pit Area, firing indiscriminately and fatally shooting an unidentified man.

The police promptly pursued Nuhu, and as he grew more violent, officers were compelled to open fire to subdue him. The confiscated rifle was successfully recovered during the confrontation.

The injured hoodlum, Nuhu, and the lifeless body of the man he shot were swiftly transported to the hospital.

Tragically, the two unidentified persons shot were declared dead upon arrival at the medical facility.

Inspector Rotimi and Inspector Yusuf are currently receiving medical attention, and SP Iringe-Koko assured the public that a thorough investigation into the incident is underway.


Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com

Related Articles

Back to top button