…NFF Cites Ongoing Investigations, Withholds Financial Records Sought Under FOI Act
…Anti-Graft Agencies Take Custody Of Documents As Scrutiny Of Football Finances Deepens
Daud Olatunji
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission have commenced investigations into the utilisation of a N12bn Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation for the payment of players’ wages, allowances and bonuses.
The development emerged from a response by the NFF to a Freedom of Information request seeking details of how the funds were disbursed and utilised.
In a letter dated August 18, 2026, and signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, the federation said it could not release the requested financial records because the matter was already being investigated by the two anti-corruption agencies.
The letter, referenced NFF/LEG/10/1/879 and titled, “Re: Application for disclosure of financial records and utilisation logs regarding the N12 billion Federal Government Intervention Fund released for players’ wages and bonuses,” was addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke.
The law firm had written to the federation on August 7, 2026, requesting access to financial records and utilisation logs relating to the intervention fund. The request was received by the NFF on August 11.
Responding, the football body stated that all documents relating to the request were currently with the EFCC and ICPC.
The NFF said, “The subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act are subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
“Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).”
The federation, however, did not disclose what specific transactions or aspects of the fund triggered the investigations.
It also did not state when the probes began, the officials or individuals being investigated, whether anyone had been invited for questioning or if any allegations of financial impropriety had been established.
The investigation raises fresh questions about the management of public funds allocated to Nigerian football, particularly the disbursement of funds earmarked for national team players and coaches.
Sources, according to reports, said a substantial portion of the N12bn was used to settle outstanding hotel accommodation bills incurred by players and teams at various levels.
The intervention fund dates back to January 2024, when President Bola Tinubu approved the release of N12bn to settle outstanding financial obligations to Nigeria’s national teams.
The payment was announced by the President’s Media Centre and was said to have covered 15 months of outstanding salaries owed to senior national team coaches, as well as allowances and other financial commitments involving the senior men’s and women’s teams and the Under-20 national team.
The President’s Media Centre said at the time that the approval was intended to clear the backlog of payments owed to the national teams.
The latest development comes amid renewed scrutiny of the administration of Nigerian football and growing concerns over the management of funds released to the NFF.
It also comes days after reports that the NFF, led by Ibrahim Musa Gusau, wrote to FIFA over an alleged plan by the Nigerian Government to establish an interim committee to oversee the administration of football in the country and halt the planned NFF election.
The reported move followed Nigeria’s failure to qualify for the Women’s World Cup for the first time in the history of the competition.
The outcome of the EFCC and ICPC investigations is expected to determine whether the N12bn was fully applied for the purposes for which it was released and whether any officials or other beneficiaries have questions to answer over its utilisation.
Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com
We are committed to impactful investigative journalism for human interest and social justice. Your donation will help us tell more stories. Kindly donate any amount HERE



