The Defence Headquarters on Tuesday disclosed that coordinated airstrikes carried out by Nigerian forces in collaboration with the United States have eliminated no fewer than 175 fighters linked to the Islamic State, including top commanders of the Islamic State West Africa Province.
The military said the sustained offensive in the North-East dealt a “devastating blow” to insurgent networks, with multiple strategic targets destroyed and key leadership figures neutralised.
In a statement by the Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, the DHQ said the joint operations, executed with support from the United States Africa Command, had significantly weakened the operational strength of the terrorists.
Among those killed, according to the military, is Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, a senior global operations leader of the Islamic State, described as one of the group’s most active and influential figures worldwide.
The DHQ noted that al-Minuki played a critical role in coordinating the group’s media and financial systems, as well as overseeing the production of weapons, explosives and drones.
The statement further revealed that other high-ranking ISWAP commanders eliminated during the strikes include Abd-al Wahhab, said to be in charge of coordinating attacks and propaganda; Abu Musa al-Mangawi, a top field commander; and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, a senior member of the group’s media production unit and a close associate of al-Minuki.
An official of the United States Africa Command confirmed the casualty figures, attributing the success of the operation to intelligence sharing and operational support provided by Nigerian authorities.
Commander of AFRICOM, General Dagvin Anderson, speaking at a congressional hearing in Washington, commended Nigeria’s role in the operation, stating that the country had been pivotal in target identification and mission execution.
He said, “Nigeria has been instrumental over the past several months, developing targets, providing intelligence, and supporting operations.”
Reacting, President Bola Tinubu lauded the United States for its continued support in Nigeria’s counterterrorism efforts, expressing appreciation to his American counterpart, Donald Trump, for what he described as unwavering cooperation.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to intensifying military operations against terrorist enclaves, noting that Nigeria looks forward to more decisive actions to end insurgency across the country.
Despite the reported gains, security challenges persist in the region, with Boko Haram and ISWAP insurgents increasing attacks on communities, security formations and economic assets in recent months.
The resurgence of violence has led to casualties among civilians and security personnel, raising fresh concerns over the fragile security situation in northern Nigeria.
The Federal Government had, in 2025, declared a nationwide state of emergency in response to escalating attacks, while international partners, including the United States, have continued to provide support in ongoing counterterrorism operations.
However, the military authorities maintained that sustained pressure on insurgent groups is gradually eroding their capabilities, as security forces intensify operations to dismantle remaining terrorist cells.
Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com
We are committed to impactful investigative journalism for human interest and social justice. Your donation will help us tell more stories. Kindly donate any amount HERE



