Military pensioners on Wednesday protested in Abuja over the alleged failure of the Federal Government to implement consequential adjustments to their pensions following salary increases for serving military personnel.
The retired personnel had gathered at an open field near the Ministry of Defence, carrying placards and banners demanding the implementation of what they described as their constitutional and legal entitlement.
Their attempt to march to the main entrance of the ministry was, however, blocked by soldiers who cordoned off the area.
Police officers and personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps also joined the security operation, while security vehicles and tanks were deployed around the ministry to prevent the protesters from gaining access to the premises.
The pensioners subsequently moved to a road median, where they addressed journalists and explained their grievances.
Speaking on behalf of the protesters, a retired Lieutenant Colonel, Innocent Anas, said retired military personnel were entitled to consequential adjustments whenever the salaries of serving personnel were reviewed upward.
Anas said the failure to adjust the pensions of retired personnel had created disparities between old and recent retirees, with some lower-ranking personnel who retired recently allegedly receiving higher pensions than officers who retired years earlier.
“We have paid our dues in patriotic service to this nation,” Anas said.
He alleged that a salary increase approved for military and paramilitary personnel in November 2025 had yet to be reflected in the pensions of retired personnel.
“Since last year, November last year, Mr President approved the new salary increase for the military and the paramilitary; it’s been in the news all over. November last year, this is August this year; they have not implemented it,” he said.
Anas further argued that any new salary structure for serving personnel must be accompanied by a corresponding review of pensions to prevent retired personnel from being disadvantaged.
According to him, the protesters’ demand is anchored on provisions of the Constitution and the Armed Forces Act, which he said require consequential adjustments to pensions when salaries of serving personnel are increased.
He also alleged that pensioners were not adequately captured in the financial computation for the implementation of the latest salary adjustment.
Anas warned that failure to address the issue would further widen the gap between the pensions of earlier retirees and the earnings of more recent retirees.
He said the situation could result in a retired lieutenant colonel receiving a pension comparable to that of a lower-ranking officer who retired more recently.
The protest followed recent salary adjustments approved for serving military personnel.
President Bola Tinubu had approved a 30 per cent salary increase for officers from the rank of colonel and above, including brigadier-generals, major-generals, lieutenant-generals and generals.
Personnel from the rank of colonel to warrant officer were also reported to be entitled to a 50 per cent increase, while those from private to staff sergeant were to receive an 80 per cent increase.
The pensioners insisted that the corresponding adjustments should also be extended to retired military personnel.
Anas warned that the protesters would escalate their action by marching to the Presidential Villa in the coming days if the government failed to respond to their demands..
Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com
We are committed to impactful investigative journalism for human interest and social justice. Your donation will help us tell more stories. Kindly donate any amount HERE



