Tragedy Strikes as Electrician Electrocuted While Restoring Power In Ogun 

A tragic incident unfolded in the quiet town of Obantoko, located in the heart of Abeokuta, the capital city of Ogun State. 

On Tuesday, a middle-aged electrician met a grim end as he was electrocuted while attempting to rectify an electrical fault for a neighbour. 

The victim, identified as Elijah Adenekan, hailed from the Unity Estate in the Aregbe area of Obantoko, Odeda local government area.

The unfortunate sequence of events transpired when Mr. Adenekan decided to address a nagging electrical problem by enlisting the help of a skilled electrician. 

As the electrician diligently worked on the task, an unexpected twist occurred. 

At the time he had climbed the utility pole to address the electrical fault, there was a local power outage. However, right in the midst of his work, electricity was restored to the area.

The sudden surge of power proved to be deadly. The electrician, in the blink of an eye, made contact with a live wire, resulting in a violent electric shock. 

The intensity of the shock caused him to lose balance and tragically plummet to the ground, where he succumbed to his injuries instantly.

As news of the tragic incident spread through the community, residents were gripped with panic and shock, leading many to flee the scene. 

The incident was swiftly reported to the local Aregbe Police Station by Mr. Adenekan, who had hired the electrician. He recounted the harrowing events that unfolded in his attempt to resolve the electrical issue.

An anonymous source within the community shared insights about the electrician’s role in the neighborhood, explaining, 

“He was an electrician who was engaged to help fix an electric fault in Mr. Elijah Adenekan’s house.

 He has been the one assisting in fixing faults when IBEDC men were not around. There was no electricity before he started the connection. But while he was at it, power was restored. He was electrocuted. 

Those around initially fled, but later, Mr. Adenekan went to Aregbe Police Station to report, before the Community Development Association members joined him.”

SP Omolola Odutola, the Police Public Relations Officer in the State, confirmed the incident during a telephone conversation with our correspondent. 

The tragic electrocution serves as a grim reminder of the dangers that electrical workers and those involved in electrical repairs face, emphasizing the importance of safety measures when dealing with live electrical wires.

The community is left in mourning, and an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident is expected as the authorities aim to prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com

Related Articles

Back to top button