The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate demolition of buildings constructed on designated waterways and stormwater channels in Abuja, warning that the government will not spare property owners regardless of their political influence or social status.
Wike gave the directive on Tuesday after an inspection of flood-prone areas of the Federal Capital Territory, including Maitama Extension, where several expensive houses were reportedly submerged following heavy rainfall.
The minister directed the FCT Development Control Department to commence the demolition immediately and continue the exercise through Saturday.
He said structures found to be obstructing waterways would be removed, irrespective of whether they belonged to senators, businessmen or other influential Nigerians.
“Any house that’s found on the water channel will go down. We will demolish all those houses found on the water channel. Some of them are senators. Some of them are big men,” Wike said.
He added, “Whether there’s election or there’s no election, all those houses will go down. Heaven will not fall. Rather, heaven will be at peace that the right thing has been done.”
The minister said the recent flooding had exposed widespread violations of the Abuja Master Plan, with some property owners allegedly constructing buildings on corridors reserved for stormwater.
According to him, the government’s inspection revealed that drainage channels had been blocked or built over, preventing floodwater from following its designated routes.
“Unfortunately, we have gone there, and we have seen how people have blocked channels where, in the Master Plan, that is the right way where the water is supposed to be channelled,” he said.
Wike also identified blocked drainage systems, indiscriminate dumping of refuse and poor maintenance of drainage infrastructure as factors worsening the impact of heavy rainfall across the capital.
He acknowledged that climate change and unusually heavy rainfall were contributing to the flooding but stressed that human activities had significantly aggravated the situation.
“Flood could be a natural disaster,” the minister said, while pointing to the “man-made factors” responsible for worsening its consequences.
The latest directive followed reports of severe flooding in Maitama Extension, where residents said indiscriminate construction along waterways and blocked drainage channels had contributed to the disaster.
A major canal in the area was reportedly covered to pave the way for construction, with some of the affected structures allegedly linked to a senator.
The minister, however, did not exempt any property owner from the enforcement exercise, insisting that political considerations would not prevent the government from enforcing planning regulations.
Wike further directed relevant FCT authorities to immediately commence the desilting of identified drainage channels to improve the flow of stormwater.
He also appealed to residents, traders and other users of public spaces to stop dumping refuse into waterways, warning that such practices could worsen flooding and put lives and property at risk.
Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com
We are committed to impactful investigative journalism for human interest and social justice. Your donation will help us tell more stories. Kindly donate any amount HERE



