Family Tackles FMC Over Alleged Negligence As Daughter Dies After Injection

Daud Olatunji

 The family of Fiyinfolu Akanro has condemned the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) in Abeokuta for what it  describe as gross negligence that led to the  death of its daughter, Ireti Oluwadara Akanro. 

The 40-year-old woman allegedly died on Friday, May 24, 2024, shortly after being administered a contrast dye for a CT scan.

According to family sources, Iretiogo Oluwadara Akanro had visited FMC on Friday, May 17, 2024, seeking treatment for a persistent cough. 

The tragic sequence of events reportedly began with the absence of both the consultant doctor and the senior registrar, leaving a junior doctor to handle the administration of the contrast dye. 

A family member detailed the lapses that allegedly led to Iretiogo’s death, stating, “Medical personnel at FMC Abeokuta exhibited significant negligence during a CT scan procedure, ultimately resulting in the tragic death of Iretiogo Oluwadara Akanro. 

“We believe this incident was marked by multiple failures in adhering to established safety protocols and standards of care.

“In a meeting with the Head of Clinicals after the incident, both medical personnel admitted to their absence during the procedure,” the source continued. 

“The patient had been treated for a persistent cough for months. An initial X-ray revealed nothing, prompting the request for a CT scan. This indicated that she was otherwise hale and hearty, without any underlying ailments.”

The family further alleges that standard precautionary measures were neglected, such as administering a sample dosage to observe for immediate adverse effects and ensuring the antidote was readily available. 

They also claimed  that emergency equipment necessary for resuscitation was not adequately prepared or on standby.

“Throughout the procedure, the patient was inadequately monitored. Vital signs, which could have indicated distress or the onset of complications, may not have been sufficiently observed. This neglect meant that the signs of a negative reaction went unnoticed and unaddressed until it was too late,” the source elaborated.

The family recounted the harrowing final moments, stating that when the adverse effects of the dye became apparent, an alarm was raised. Iretiogo’s mother, who was in the waiting room, rushed in to find her daughter gasping for breath. 

She carried her daughter in distress until she could no longer breathe, at which point medical personnel intervened. Unfortunately, efforts to resuscitate Iretiogo were futile.

“The combination of these failures—absence of senior medical staff, insufficient precautionary measures, lack of emergency preparedness, poor monitoring, failure to accommodate the patient’s special communication needs, and delayed response to the adverse reaction—constituted a severe deviation from the expected standard of care,” the family asserted. 

“This series of negligent actions and omissions directly led to the patient’s death, underscoring the critical importance of rigorous adherence to medical protocols and thorough supervision during high-risk procedures.”

As of the time of filing this report, Segun Orisajo, FMC’s head of public relations and information, has yet to respond to messages sent to his mobile phone regarding the incident.


Source : SaharaReporters

Do you want to share a story with us? Do you want to advertise with us? Do you need publicity for a product, service, or event? Contact us on WhatsApp +2348183319097 Email: platformtimes@gmail.com

Related Articles

Back to top button